Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year Resolutions

It is not #1 on my list, but updating this thing once a week or so is one of my goals for this new decade. Since I last updated this thing, lots got done - the house finaled and we moved in (last summer), the college soccer season came and went, and I drove the family out to AZ for the Christmas break. Sarah also finished her first big step in her PhD program - that much closer to Dr. Douglas. Lots of little things in there as well.

In no particular order, some of the goals for this year:

-finish up some details on the inside of the house
-complete all our landscaping needs
-spend more time with the kids
-go shooting more
-go hunting more
-lose 20 lbs
-pass the "new" USSF pro fitness test this spring
-get accepted as a NISOA national candidate
-submit my USSF national candidate paperwork

A little soccer summary for the college season of 2009:

I worked about 55 games including my August pre-season exhibitions. I traveled over 7000 miles for those games. I did about 10 Div. I games. I was the center for the AMCC mens final (Div. III) played in Buffalo, NY. I was the center for 1st round NCAA mens tournament match at Slippery Rock, PA (Div. II). In total I think I worked 6 or 7 post-season games. I also completed the required assessments and other requirements to become a NISOA national candidate.

My NISOA goals for 2010 - referee at least 60 games, at least 15 Div. I, at least 8 post-season. Complete at least 1/2 of my national assessments, work at least one NCAA tournament center. Score a 5 on all parts of the NISOA fitness test. Attend national camp this summer.

A summary of my USSF soccer season:

I didn't do nearly as much as I would have liked, but I did get in a couple pro games. I attended a pro clinic in Columbus in the spring and passed the fitness test (even though I only had ~2 weeks to get in shape after my emergency appendectomy at the end of Feb.) I upgraded to grade 7 as an instructor. I finally completed my grade 5 upgrade as well. I officiated some state cup and open cup games for PA west. I officiated at Region 1 championships. I taught 2 recertification courses as lead instructor here in Bellefonte.

Looking forward to USSF in 2010, I have some more goals. First is to attend a pro clinic in the spring and pass the new fitness test (interval testing). I hope to work at least 5 pro games (USL1, USL2, PDL, W-league) and would like to work 10 or more - we'll see how many folks pass the new pro-clinic fitness test. I hope to get officially certified as an assessor, but this seems doomed since the course I was scheduled for in PA West this coming weekend got cancelled. I hope to attend 2-3 major tournaments (Dallas Cup, Vets Cup, Regional Championships -youth or adult, Disney Showcase, etc.). My goal is to end this year by submitting my paperwork for national candidacy for certification in 2012.

The holidays always tend to be a brutal time for fitness and healthy eating. This year was no exception. I took my running gear to AZ, but only managed 1 good run and a few long walks. The rest of the time I ate, drove, ate, watched TV, ate, hung out with family, ate, hung out with friends, ate. Unsurprisingly, I gained 10 lbs due a lack of exercise and an increase in eating. 10 lbs is not much, but my goal is to be back to ~200 lbs by the end of January and 190 by fitness test time in the spring. My goal is to maintain 188-195 lbs for the majority of this calendar year, but definitely during the pro and college soccer seasons.

Harrison starts indoor soccer this coming Sunday (U8) and I will be coaching his team. Not much coaching to do, however, as this is the first season of indoor for Bellefonte Soccer and they are not allowing practices - just 8 weeks of games. I'll update on how that goes in my next post. Other than that, not a lot is scheduled for January. Sarah starts back to work/school next week and Harrison started back to school yesterday. Claire and I will be chillin' around the house a lot until I find some jobs.

Some Youtube action: Bellefonte City Rap

Happy New Year!

-John

3 comments:

  1. Hey, the rap is awesome! Why is it down? Is there anyway that I could get a copy of it or that you could put it back up on youtube.. Such an awesome rap... I wanna hear it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I love this rap, please put it back up.

    ReplyDelete